Speaker: Hugh Belsey
Tuesday, 16 May 2023, (in-person lecture; Event Number 2305)
Our speaker will introduce us to this exquisite example of a country house, inspired by the work of Inigo Jones, and the Townshend family who have owned the estate for the past six centuries. The great 17th century architect and Norfolk landowner, Sir Roger Pratt, described it as ‘divine’. It was designed by Sir Roger Townshend in the early 17th century and William Kent refitted the interior nearly a century later.
Hugh has lectured widely on English country houses, was curator of Gainsborough’s House in Sudbury for 23 years and published his award winning catalogue raisonné of Gainsborough’s work in 2019.
(If you cannot make the date in person, a recorded version of the lecture will be available to ticket holders.)
- In aid of: Art Friends Cambridgeshire Grant Fund.
- Transport: own. Instructions with tickets. (If you do not have your own transport we shall endeavour to put you in touch with others who are coming who might give you a lift – see booking form.)
- Start time and meeting point: 10.30 am, Coton Village Hall, CB23 7PL. Ample street parking available.
- Tickets: Members £15, non-members £18, includes coffee or tea and biscuits
- Ticket allocation date: Monday, 13 February 2023 at 12 noon. (Payment instructions will be sent on confirmation of your ticket. Please note that tickets are not refundable.)
- Recorded version: available to ticket holders. Tickets for the recorded version only may be applied for up to a fortnight after the date of the lecture.
- Priority will be given to members of Art Friends Cambridgeshire
To apply for a place or to contact the Organiser, please click here.