Thursday, 16 June 2022, (afternoon visit; Event 220)
The Skilliter Centre for Ottoman Studies, which is administered by Newnham College, supports research into history, literature and culture of the Ottoman Empire and the early Turkish Republic. Its extensive library includes many rare books amongst which are some with Islamic book bindings.
The afternoon will include a brief introduction to the Centre by its Director, Dr Kate Fleet, followed by a talk on Islamic Book Bindings by the Skilliter Centre Librarian, Eve Lacey, and we will have an opportunity to view some of the book bindings in the collection.
- In aid of: Skilliter Centre, for conservation of book bindings
- Start time and meeting point: 2.00 pm, Porter’s Lodge, Newnham College, Sidgwick Avenue, CB3 9DF
- Tickets: Members £20, non-members £25, includes tea/coffee and Turkish biscuits
- Allocation date and payment: Monday, 14 February 2022, 12 noon. You will be notified whether or not your application has been successful and if so, will then be sent instructions on how to pay. (If you miss the allocation date, please still apply. We may not be fully booked, or if we are, you could go on a waiting list.)
- Priority will be given to members of Art Friends Cambridgeshire
To apply for a place or to contact the Organiser, please click here.