Thursday, 20 April 2023, (day visit; Event 2304)
The Raymond family have owned Belchamp Hall and estate since 1611 and one of the current members will show us round. The present Hall, built in 1710, is a fine example of the period. It contains splendid panelling from an earlier house, fine furniture, an organ given by Handel to a daughter of the house, and numerous family portraits, many by Thomas Gainsborough. We shall see the house, garden and the 14th century church close by with some remarkable medieval wall paintings.
After lunch in a pub nearby we shall visit the 14th century Gestingthorpe church (CO9 3BB) with a 15th century brick tower and much local historical interest, including a memorial to Captain Oates whose family lived in the village. We will be given a talk by a local historian and will have tea before we return home.
- In aid of: Gestingthorpe Church
- Transport: own. Instructions with tickets.
- Start time and meeting point: 10.30 am, Belchamp Hall (CO10 7AT)
- Tickets: Members £62, non-members £67, includes coffee and cake, lunch and tea
- Ticket allocation date: Monday, 13 February 2023, 12 noon. (Payment instructions will be sent on confirmation of your ticket. Please note that tickets are not refundable.)
- Priority will be given to members of Art Friends Cambridgeshire
To apply for a place or to contact the Organiser, please click here.